Note: TenMarks will no longer be available after the 2018-2019 school year. Licenses for TenMarks Math and Writing will be honored through June 30, 2019. If you're a current customer, you should have received an email outlining what this means for you. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
What are Labs?
TenMarks Labs are inquiry-based learning modules that help students make sense of math through trial and error, self-explanation, and discussion. Designed to jumpstart the learning of a particular concept or provide an opportunity to explore a concept in a different way, Labs promote discovery and set the stage for engagement and success with related Lessons and Assignments.
How can I view and add Labs?
- Select the “Work” tab.
- Click “Labs.” You will see a list of all Labs for the current grade level.
- You can also add Labs designed for other grade levels by clicking on the “Add Labs” button.
For each Lab you will see:
- Options to enable/disable student access to Labs
- An interactive preview of the Lab itself
- A downloadable teacher guide that gives background and suggestions for using the Lab with your students
- An icon to access detail Reports including student progress and responses.
How can I use Labs?
Labs are designed to foster discover, collaboration, and rich discourse. Each Lab includes a downloadable Teacher Guide that describes the intended discovery and provides suggestions for how to facilitate the Lab experience, including discussion questions. We highly recommend that you download and review this resource prior to implementing Labs with your students.
Consider using Labs to:
- Introduce a new math concept so that students can discover on their own prior to instruction.
- Explore a concept in a different way. If students are struggling with a particular math concept or if they’re ready to extend their learning, consider having them work through a Lab to develop a deeper conceptual understanding through experimentation and trial and error.
- Incorporate more mathematical discussions and practices into your classroom.
Refer to the TenMarks Curriculum Alignment and Pacing Guides to determine which Labs might align well with our units and assignments.
What is the Labs experience like for students?
Students explore and play with mathematical ideas in an open-ended way through a short series of interactive screens and animations. Questions are included to prompt further reflection and capture student observations; as such, the questions are not graded and students do not receive feedback as to whether their answers are “correct.” Students can navigate through the Lab by clicking on the blue arrows.
How can I monitor student progress?
The main Labs page indicates how many students are in progress or have completed a Lab. If any students have begun the Lab, you can click on the text in the Intended Discovery section and see real-time reports for each of the pages within the Lab.
The report will show student progress and Lab responses by Student or by Question. You can view responses by clicking on each hyperlinked page number.
- Resetting and versioning of Labs: Sometimes you will see an indicator that lets you know that a new version of a Lab has been provided by TenMarks after your students have started the Lab. You can choose whether to update the Lab; updating will cause your student reporting data to be reset.
- Click here to learn more about TenMarks Labs!
If you have additional questions about TenMarks Math, please use the SEARCH feature above or email firstname.lastname@example.org.