What are Bursts?
Bursts are short-form writing exercises designed to foster engagement, spark creativity, and build confidence. They offer students the opportunity to write without self-censoring or worrying about being evaluated.
How can I view Bursts?
You can view and model Bursts through the Demo Student account (accessed from the teacher Dashboard). Bursts appear at the top of the student view home page. Click on the “Burst Topics” tab to see the various prompt categories, or select one of the randomly generated prompts on the home page. You can view Bursts that students have completed in the teacher view under the “Work” tab.
How can I use Bursts?
Bursts are designed to engage students in the writing process through accessible formats, student choice, and interesting topics.
Consider using Bursts for:
- Daily warm up: Add Bursts to your regular routine so students have the opportunity to build their fluency and confidence without self-censoring.
- Brainstorming: With hundreds of choices for writing topics, Bursts offer students an opportunity to “play around” with their writing. This may help them generate ideas, add voice to a piece, or craft a more engaging hook.
- Encouraging reluctant writers: Bursts are filled with fun images and topics, and are not evaluated, so they are a great cure for writer’s block!
- Early finishers: Encourage your students to log in and Burst when they’ve completed their work and are looking for a bit of fun!
What is the Burst experience like for students?
Bursts appear across the top of the student page when they log in. They see four writing topics at a time, in the formats Text Message, Image Comment, and Freewrite. If they want to see more prompts, they can click the “Show More Choices” button to generate four new prompts. They can also go to “Burst Topics” on the main menu to view a full listing of topics by format.
Once a student selects a Burst, following the prompts and/or images, they freewrite their comment, response or texts in the active fields and submit when they are complete.
How can I monitor student progress?
You can view a scrollable record of each student's completed Bursts.
- Select the “Work” tab.
- Click “Bursts.”
- Select the student name from the drop-down field to view his or her completed Bursts.
If you have additional questions about TenMarks Writing, please use the SEARCH feature above or email firstname.lastname@example.org.